Hamish Clark; winemaker, father of 2, fishing fanatic.
Since joining the Saint Clair Family Estate in 2001, Hamish has held a wide variety of positions including; Lab Manager, Cellar Hand, Assistant Winemaker and Red Winemaker. This gave him a huge amount of experience when taking on his current role – Chief Winemaker/Viticulturist.
Here are a six things you might not have known about the man behind the vines:
- Loves spending time in and on the water – swimming, surfing and spear fishing!
- Particularly enjoys Vietnamese food; this complex cuisine full of sweet, sour and spicy notes is a great match for the ripe fruit flavours of Saint Clair’s Origin Sauvignon Blanc.
- Hamish has always had close ties with the family behind Saint Clair since childhood, having gone to school with Neal and Judy Ibbotson’s three children.
- He has a tendency to fall out of windows, having managed to fall out of a second floor window as a child, not one, but twice – once in an attempt to climb up and see his Grandmother arriving on the ferry. Fortunately, he landed unharmed both times!
- Has a varied and extensive background in the sciences with a BSc in Microbiology and one in Zoology from Otago University.
Although he is now recognised as one of Marlborough’s best winemakers, Hamish could have followed a very different career path. Prior to making wine he spent time as both a forensic scientist for the Home Office in the UK, tracing down criminals and repeat offenders, and as a Medical Laboratory Assistant in hospitals. Luckily (for the wine drinking public), he decided to pursue his passion for wine.
For more information on any of our wines from Saint Clair visit our website or speak to your account manager.