Elizma joined the Olifantsberg team in 2015 following extensive winemaking experience; studying Oenology and Viticulture in Stellenbosch and working in France and Italy, before returning home to South Africa.
Her time making wine in Europe proved to be an excellent springboard to go on and start creating elegant Rhône style wines of her own.
Elizma certainly has her work cut out, looking after all areas of the management of the vineyards and winery at Olifantsberg. In the vineyards, Elizma’s focus is on taking care of the soils and maintaining the quality and sustainability of the vines. Whereas her focus in the winery, is to get the best expression of the fruit using a variety of techniques.
Here are a few facts you may not have known about Elizma:
- Wine is a family affair! Elizma is married to a fellow winemaker and they have two young sons
- A music fan, she likes; Indie Rock, Alternative and Acoustic and would love to pick up learning the guitar again
- It’s not just rock music that’s a hit with Elizma, she also enjoys collecting rocks
- Before embarking on her current career Elizma had ambitions to learn Greek and study Philosophy but now it is her winemaking philosophy that is centre stage
- Favourite quote: “Most people are about as happy as they make up their mind to be”
- Elizma could have ended up on a very different road, if she hadn’t pursued wine, she would have liked to have become a professional rally driver and knows quite a bit about cars
- Floristry is a big passion for Elizma. She hopes to own a flower shop one day… with a small wine bar inside of course. The Olifantsberg Blanc, with its floral notes, would surely make a great flower shop wine!
For more information on Elizma’s wines at Olifantsberg, contact your account manager.