Members of the wine and restaurant trades were treated to a Puglian-inspired feast at Gordon Ramsay’s Union Street Café earlier this week following a partnership with the restaurant and Italian winery San Marzano.
The event saw five top chefs come together to create a six-course tasting menu that was brilliantly matched with wines from San Marzano.
The winery has a partnership with Michelin-Starred Chef Salvatore Carlucci from La Barca in Puglia and he worked with Union Street Café’s Davide Degiovanni (head chef) and Stefano de Costanzo (pastry chef), Tom Dufill from Galvin La Chapelle and Aurelie Altemaire from L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon to create the menu.
Each dish was paired with a wine from San Marzano’s award-winning portfolio and presented on the night by Angelo Cotugno of San Marzano.
The winery – named European Producer of the Year at the 2015 Sommelier Wine Awards – is passionate about promoting Puglian culture and lifestyle through food and wine, and this event went a long way in showing both the wines and food in a brilliant light.
Here’s a look at food and wine pairing from the night:
- Mazzara Shrimp with raw tomatoes and ricotta (Salvatore Carlucci) – Talò Verdeca, 2015
- Risotto with herbs and flowers (Davide Degiovanni) – Talò Verdeca, 2015
- White Tuna, beetroot, crema of Caciocavallo Cheese and cooked figs (Salvatore Carlucci) – Edda Bianco Salento, 2014
- Lightly smoked duck with caprino cheese and bittersweet strawberry (Tom Duffill) – Talò Primitivo di Manduria, 2013
- Beef cheek with celeriac puree, carrots and onion chips (Aurelie Altemaire) – Collezione Cinquanta, NV
- Almonds and cocoa tart with cherries and almond ice cream (Stefano de Costanzo) – Filari Primitivo Dolce Naturale, 2011